CALGARY – Devastated by the murder of her close friend, the godmother of abducted two-year-old Hailey Dunbar-Blanchette, missing since the early hours of Monday morning, made an emotional plea for the young girl’s safe return Tuesday.
“We miss you, Hailey, and we can’t wait–we can’t wait to have you come home and we can have your snuggles and your laughs and just hear your voice,” said Rebecca Harrington, who said she’s close friends with both sides of the family. “Your dad loves you very much–loves you more than anything in the world, sweetheart. And we can’t wait for you to come home.”
Hailey’s dad, 27-year-old Terry Blanchette, was found murdered in the family home in Blairmore, Alta. on Monday morning. One person has been arrested in relation to his murder and his daughter’s disappearance.
MORE: Man arrested, Amber Alert continues for Hailey Dunbar-Blanchette
“She’s the most energetic kid you’d ever see,” said Harrington. “She’s running, she’s laughing, she does a scrunchy-face…she scrunches up her nose and gets so excited,” she said.
“Her dad was the highlight of her life. That kid had everything she needed.”
Harrington said she received a call from Hailey’s mother, Cheyenne Dunbar, in the early stages of the investigation. She said she started to hear rumours of murder, but “didn’t want to think the worst.”
“I got a call from Amanda, his sister, she called to tell me personally Terry had been murdered and Hailey was abducted,” said Harrington.
“I dropped to the floor and my life just–they mean so much to me. I wasn’t sure what to do.”
Watch below: Video coverage of the abduction of Hailey Dunbar-Blanchette and murder of her father
Amber Alert continues as crews search for Hailey Dunbar-Blanchette
Amber Alert continues as crews search for Hailey Dunbar-Blanchette
Alleged murder, possible abduction and the search for Hailey continues
Amber Alert continues for Hailey Dunbar-Blanchette
Amber alert investigation continues day after father found dead, 2-year-old daughter missing
Amber Alert still in place Monday night after two-year-old abducted
Two-year-old girl’s grandfather speaks out during Amber Alert
RAW: Grandfather of Hailey Dunbar-Blanchette speaks to Global News
Amber alert issued for abducted toddler
RAW: RCMP update Amber Alert and homicide in Alberta
Harrington said Blanchette was the “most outstanding single dad” she’s ever seen.
“He stepped up. He had a full-time job. He had two days off a week, and those two days were days for Hailey,” she said. “Any extra money went to her…he always put himself last.”
“I’ve seen such a change in the past two years that it’s incredible to see how he has evolved.”
Blanchette had a minor criminal history, including assault and theft, according to Calgary court records. Most recently, he pleaded guilty to assault and theft under $5,000 in July 2013 and paid a fine.
READ MORE: What we know so far about Terry Blanchette and daughter Hailey
Harrington said she’s heading to be with Blanchette’s family. She said Dunbar is in Crowsnest Pass with her mother, doing “as best she can.”
“It’s scary. I’ve talked to her on the phone…it’s her daughter; it’s her baby. Her baby is missing and she doesn’t know why…the father of her child, dead–all in one go. And no one can say anything. No one has answers.”
Harrington said Blanchette and Dunbar were separated before Hailey was born, but got together briefly for their daughter’s sake.
“From then on out, it was quite a rocky relationship but they did it for Hailey. They wanted to make it work for her. They didn’t want her to have separated parents. They wanted their daughter to have her mom and dad but it just didn’t work. But for them, Hailey is their number one.”
Harrington said the couple had shared custody of Hailey.
The Amber Alert was dropped Tuesday night.
TIMELINE: Abduction of 2-year-old Hailey Dunbar-Blanchette
MONTREAL – The Impact will end their brief Western road swing on Wednesday in San Jose without striker Didier Drogba and some other key players.
With a stretch of four games in 10 days set to begin against the Earthquakes, head coach Mauro Biello opted to send Drogba, Ignacio Piatti, Justin Mapp, Marco Donadel, Laurent Ciman and goalkeeper Evan Bush home for extra rest.
Story continues below
Montreal Impact fire head coach Frank Klopas, name Mauro Biello as interim
Whitecaps crowned Canadian champions with win over Montreal Impact
Costa Rican attacking midfielder Johan Venegas joins Montreal Impact
A team spokesman confirmed Tuesday that those players would not be available.
Drogba (toe), Piatti (calf) and Mapp (foot) are also recovering from injuries, which factored in Biello’s decision.
Ciman, meanwhile, is serving the second game of a two-match suspension.
The six players, who have accounted for 14 of the club’s 34 goals this year, left California for Montreal on Monday.
The Impact played to a 0-0 draw in Los Angeles on Saturday.
“We have a huge week coming up at home against three conference teams,” Bush told reporters after the Galaxy game.
“Looking at the results from the league, results are still going our way. I think that if we can win a few more games, we will be solidly in the playoffs.”
READ MORE: Costa Rican attacking midfielder Johan Venegas joins Montreal Impact
Montreal (9-11-5) is in a good position to make the Major League Soccer playoffs for the second time in its history.
The Impact are sixth in the Eastern Conference with nine games remaining in the regular season and have games in hand on their closest rivals.
Following Wednesday’s clash with San Jose (11-11-6), Montreal will play consecutive home matches against New England, Chicago and D.C. United.
READ MORE: Whitecaps crowned Canadian champions with win over Montreal Impact
The Impact players are riding high after back-to-back positive results.
Drogba scored a hat trick in a 4-3 home win over the Fire before Montreal held the Galaxy — the league’s highest scoring team — off the scoresheet.
“You try to avoid saying that we are sending messages,” Bush said.
“It’s more of a message to us, that we can come on the road and get results. It’s a big confidence builder. We have another game Wednesday, another important game that I think we are able to go get points there.”
READ MORE: Montreal Impact fire head coach Frank Klopas, name Mauro Biello as interim
Montreal is 1-0-1 since Biello took over as head coach after Frank Klopas was fired two weeks ago.
The Impact will likely start Dominic Oduro up front at Avaya Stadium and Johan Venegas should fill Piatti’s central attacking midfielder role.
In the back, Hassoun Camara could make his return from a knee injury after not playing for the Impact since April 22.
Eric Kronberg, a native of Santa Rosa, Calif., should get the start in goal.
Notes: Montreal is 2-0-1 all-time versus the Earthquakes in MLS. San Jose’s Chris Wondolowski has a league-best 99 goals since 2010. He has 13 goals this season. Piatti leads the Impact with eight goals. Montreal and San Jose split their two meetings in the CONCACAF Champions League in 2013.
WEST LAWRENCETOWN, NS – Parents and area residents in Lawrencetown are still in shock tonight over what is believed to be the abduction attempt of a young boy.
The 10-year-old boy was standing at a school bus stop around 7 o’clock this morning at the intersection of the Lawrencetown Road and Maple Drive. A truck went past him, circled at the Community Centre down the road and returned, parking at the Lawrencetown Grocery store across the street from the bus stop.
Story continues below
“The passenger jumped out and started waving at the boy to come to the truck,” said RCMP Corporal Greg Church. “The boy pretended to ignore him and then a few seconds later, the white male driver – believed to be in his twenties as well – got out of the truck and yelled at the boy to ‘come over and get in my truck’. That’s when the boy became extremely frightened and ran to a nearby home,” said Church.
The boy contacted his dad, who went to his school – Atlantic View Elementary – and told the principal what happened. The principal contacted the RCMP, then shared the news with parents.
“Parents have been alerted through through our voice messaging system and a letter is going home this afternoon,” said Jim King. “Stock Transportation – our bus carrier – we’ve alerted our drivers as well, to be on the lookout for this vehicle.”
The young boy gave what police say is an absolutely amazing description of the black half ton Chevrolet truck, thought to be a 2003 model. “He is a car and truck enthusiast,” said Cpl. Church. “It has a red painted gas cover cap that’s on the outside of the vehicle. Also, there’s a red painted pinstripe going down the side of the vehicle. On the top of the vehicle, he said there were five amber marking lights.”
Jim King said the boy knew what to do because teachers at Atlantic View Elementary work with the students in a program called ‘Stranger Danger’. “We have lots of conversations in class about what to do, if you’re feeling unsafe and also what to do in a situation like this, and thankfully he did the right thing,” said King.
The situation has upset families and other residents in the area. Bill Nielsen, the grandfather of a Grade 2 student said, “It’s a scary situation. My grandson’s here and I’m very concerned about him. He wasn’t approached today, but somebody was, and that’s frightening.”
Another man, who would only give his first name as Frank, said,”I’m shocked to hear it … and I hope they catch them – whoever they are.”
If you have any information you are asked to contact RCMP or CrimeStoppers. The investigation is continuing.
To anyone that even tries to bully Johnny Depp’s kids, be warned – he will destroy you.
RELATED: Johnny Depp on ‘Black Mass’ red carpet
Story continues below
‘London Fields’ pulled from TIFF after director sues producers
Kiefer Sutherland: ‘TIFF is where my adult life began’
Depp was on the panel during a press conference to promote his latest film Black Mass debuting at the Toronto International Film Festival. The movie follows Whitey Bulger, an Irish-American gangster who became an FBI informant to take down a Mafia family.
In one scene, Depp’s character Bulger tells his son how to fight on the playground and for Depp, that was a piece of advice he took with him to the real world.
“If someone tried to bully my kid, if they didn’t destroy the little booger, I would,” he said.
So to all of the school bullies out there: don’t even think about laying a finger on Lily-Rose or Jack John.
Depp believes his methods were formed after listening to some advice his mother gave to him when he was a child:
“I remember when I was a kid you know, I was little maybe six or seven years old, there was some little horror at the school who was kind of needling me or whatever. And then I told my mom or something and my mom you know… coming from nothing but hillbillies. My mom said to me, ‘All right here’s the deal, the next time anybody puts their hands on you pick up a brick and lay them out.’ And I’ve taken that advice ever since.”
RELATED: Amber Heard tells mom ‘never make eye contact with the media’
The movie had its first screening Monday night, but will be hitting theatres September 18.